Technologic Systems Logo
Search Icon
Customer Area | Contact Us |Cart Icon
  16525 East Laser Drive
Fountain Hills, AZ 85268
Phone (480) 837-5200

3.x kernel on TS-4710

I read some posts in an old forum topic on this subject. Some of the posts indicated that 3.x kernel support was being worked on. I was wondering what the current status of this is? Would it be possible to get the most recent patch set? The upcoming Fedora 20 release adds ARM as a primary platform and will initially use a 3.11.x kernel. I would like to see if I could get it running on the TS-4710.

Thanks...Paul...

Hi Paul,

When we first brought up the TS-4710 we had early ports to 3.5.7 and 3.8 for this board, and on both versions we saw bugs where all localhost tcp traffic would get stuck in the kernel which caused a lot of instability. We did not see how our port could have possibly caused these kind of bugs. We decided against the kernel port for now and reverted to the manufacturers recommended kernel where we have never reproduced issues like this. This may be fixed in later versions, but with drivers-compat covering the common reasons for much more recent kernels we haven't had a significant reason to investigate a new port.

I looked at the Fedora 20 release, and while I don't see the specific architecture they are building for I see their builds named armhf which likely implies armv6/armv7 with hard float enabled. This would not work on the TS-4710. The PXA168 is a custom ARM core based on armv5 called Mohawk, but this does not include a hardware FPU which would be required for armhf builds. Debian has solved this in later builds by having builds for both armel for soft float armv4/arm9 processors and armhf for armv6/armv7 cores that can use floating point hardware in higher performance processors.

We are actively working on a i.MX6 based TS-4900. It looks like this would be much, much easier to run the new Fedora release:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Archi...scale_i.MX6.29

Hi Mark...

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately, moving to the TS-4900 is not an option. The TS-4710 hardware was chosen for this particular platform before I came into the picture and...for better or worse...I'm stuck with it.

What is/was previously deployed on these TS-4710's is a customized, hacked version of the Debian based images that Technologic Systems provides for the board. It is currently in a non-maintainable state and that needs to be fixed.

So what I'm currently doing is evaluating our future options for creating a maintainable, reproducible build of a custom distro for our particular application. At the moment, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, and potentially Fedora seem to be the most viable ARM distro options to base it off of.

That said...I'm a bit of an ARM newbie, but have created several x86 based distros. So while I'm not familiar with all of the ins and outs of ARM, I'm not daunted by patching, rebuilding, repackaging whatever is needed. That is why I was asking about the patch sets that you might have available. Any help/pointers you could provide are definitely appreciated.

While I'm here, would you be able to provide the build environment and/or scripts that are used to build the images that you provide for the TS-4710? That may prove to be another good starting point for me.

Also, I understand that TS-BOOTROM on the TS-4710 is meant to directly boot the kernel in order to optimize bootup speed. For our application however, this is not necessary. A more full featured bootloader would be preferable. Do you have any information that would allow me to patch u-boot, Redboot, or whichever so that it can be executed by TS-BOOTROM? Is that even possible?

Thanks again...Paul...

This would not work on the TS-4710. The PXA168 is a custom ARM core based on armv5 called Mohawk, but this does not include a hardware FPU which would be required for armhf builds.

Fedora TS-4900

Is there any word on using the TS-4900 with Fedora? We've been trying to load Fedora on an SD card for this board, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Featherston View Post
    We are actively working on a i.MX6 based TS-4900. It looks like this would be much, much easier to run the new Fedora release:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Archi...scale_i.MX6.29